Monday, January 26, 2015

If Facebook and Twitter posts read like the emotions behind them

I'll admit, I'm having a F.I.N.E Monday. F*cked-up, insecure, neurotic, and emotional. Well maybe not the neurotic part be the rest is right. I've also posted twice on Facebook this morning which I almost never do except to repost some kind of animal welfare/rights/adoption meme or a picture of Bobo (read: look at how cute he is everyone) myself (read: everyone like this and make me feel pretty) or my husband and I (read: look, see, we are happy and everything is right in the world...or, I'm staking my claim creepy girl from the high school reunion).

Today I have posted two tongue-in-cheek posts that should have said "I'm educated and supposedly successful, why do I have to share my office with this ass clown" and "I'm feeling rejected by my family, someone reach out and make me feel validated and loved". Is this what social media has come to? Are we really all so disconnected from each other that we reach out, or rather cry out, for love and validation by posting to social media? Yeah, actually, I think we are. And it sucks. It sucks because I have no idea how to fix it. And because each generation is getting worse.

I am from the part of the Millennial generation that came of age when technology as we know it now was just barely taking root. In high school, most of us didn't have cell phones, we still had teen lines in our bedrooms with brightly colored corded phones. Texting was really, really new my freshman year of college. At least, new to me. I *finally* got a phone with a monthly plan (instead of a prepaid card with only minutes) that allowed texting. The iPhone came out the year before I graduated with my bachelor's degree. Facebook, when I was in college, was still just for registered college students. Yep, you had to have a .edu email address to use it. MySpace was in. We all still connected face to face, or at the very least picked up the phone and called.

Did my awkward, disconnected, black sheep of the family dynamic still exist back then? Yeah, it did. But I had enough interaction with other people to fill the void a little bit more. Today, I walked into my office and the ass clown that I have to share the room with barely said good morning, and has not uttered another word all day. We.Don't.Connect.Anymore. Not just the office mate and I. We never have. But we as a people. How many times did you approach a cashier last week and not even make eye contact during your transaction? I think for me, that was at least three times last week.

This isn't one of those super motivated, or slightly positive posts. But in the theme of This Momma Makes, I think I will make a commitment to connect with people more. Make eye contact, greet them. Call the family members that don't make me feel like a black sheep on a regular basis.

What will you do to connect more?

No comments:

Post a Comment