Thursday, January 8, 2015

I'm Back. What's my motivation?! And baby steps

Well, the last few months went by in a whirlwind. School, some setbacks in my husband's back surgery recovery, a month of Sundays spent with my niece and nephews, and the holidays and my son's third birthday provided plenty of distraction.

This time of year always makes me restless. I want to travel, to go out, to move, change...it's an annual quarter life crisis. In my young adulthood I would wake up with this (albeit painfully optimistic) mindset that I was going to "do something great today". Over the years that optimistic self talk diminished to a more realistic "I'm going to do my best today", or even so far as "I'm going to get through today". I miss the optimistic, 20 year old me. I want to do something great. I don't know how I will find the time, or the focus, or maintain the motivation, but I want to do something great. I am going to channel that optimistic me this year.

I recently got hooked on The Vampire Diaries and as a roundabout result I have started following the Ian Somerhalder Foundation (OK and Ian Somerhalder because let's face it he's gorgeous and what a beautiful spirit he has). I love that his foundation is so broad in its purpose, and I love that he uses his influence to inspire and enable good in this world. There's a lot of ugly in this world, but there is a lot of good too. I am thankful to have stumbled upon ISF and frankly to have been just whimsical enough to follow a celebrity crush on social media. I was in a period of my life when just getting by was enough, I was letting myself be sloppy about a lot of the things that that 20 year old me held dear: conservation, the environment, and animals. Sure, we foster kittens, and I put in 10-15 hours a year at NHS since my son was born, but now I'm restless and eager for more. Something bigger.

One of the interviews I read that Ian did said something to the effect that you have to choose things to tackle that are small enough to be within reach but big enough to matter. I sew, I knit, I stamp metal, I take pictures, I bake, I cook, I blog (sometimes). Now I've got to figure out what to do with those talents to make an impact on the causes that I hold dear.  If you happen to stumble upon this blog, and you have any ideas for me, please share.

For today I'll take a baby step: I pledge to reduce the amount of plastic my family uses, and recycle what we do use whenever possible (our neighborhood recycling is still only #1 and #2 plastics, sigh). I'll remember to use my reusable grocery totes, use reusable containers instead of Ziplocs to pack my lunch, and get out of the habit of buying individually packaged foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment